What causes cracked heels?
Cracked heels are caused by inflexible skin being put under pressure. The inflexible skin can because by
- Thick hard skin around the heels (see thick hard skin for more details)
- Dehydrated skin around the heels (this can be caused by the weather, wearing open shoes, natural skin type, age etc)
The pressure on the heels can be caused by
- Walking or standing, especially for long periods
- Obesity or pregnancy can increase the pressure
- Lack of support around the heels from open-backed footwear